Friday, March 15, 2013

Memories of Music Past

Tonight we were sitting on the couch watching American Idol. Yeah, we do that here. It airs one day late and we can't vote, but we (well me, but Rob by association and force) are still big fans.

For fellow fans, here are some answers to your pressing questions: Loving Keith Urban (what's not to love, am I right ladies?), irritated by Nicky Minaj, can take or leave Mariah Carey, love love will always love Ryan Seacrest. And I miss JLo.

Anyway, tonight's special guest was Bon Jovi (which doubled my American Idol pleasure if that's even possible) and I got to telling Rob about how I owned the Bon Jovi "Always" single cassette when I was 14. I would play it on my Walkman more times than was probably healthy for both me and the Walkman on which it played.

This reminded Rob of his days spent with DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince at about the same age. And this is what it looked like:

He's pretty sick with a nasty head cold, but isn't too sick to hold the iPhone on his shoulder like a boom box from the early 90s (not pictured, unfortunately.)

And so our night went. A DJ Jazzy Jeff song (usually about trivial teenage angst), interrupted by one of my Bon Jovi songs (usually about lost love and heartbreak), interrupted by American Idol back from commercial, and on and on like so.

I know. We're indubitably the least cool couple in Dubai, but all in all, not a bad Friday night.



2 comments:

  1. I would comment on Keith Urban, but I'm pretty sure I am still commenting as Pete and I will refrain.

    Bon Jovi! I'll be there till the stars don't shine, till the heavens burst and the words don't rhyme... Is that really the line? I always thought that was funny. You have some pretty major catastrophes, but ah man the words don't rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love dj jazzy Rob's look.

    I can definitely remind you of some other choice cassette tapes during the era we owned far more embarrassing than Bon jovi who for the record I think still rocks. No pun intended :)

    ReplyDelete