Saturday, April 26, 2014

Back From a Four-Month Hiatus

I'm just lazy. No excuses here.

Anyway, a big change since my last post four months ago (again, sorry I'm so negligent) is that the weather is back into the triple digits. To think that I was complaining about temps in the 90s!

I went to the beach today, knowing that it could be the last chance I had to spend an extended period of time outside for the next five months. The thought of being inside for the next half year kept me sitting on that beach against my better judgment and comfort, despite the scorching heat and humidity. The ocean-which once again feels like a bathtub-provides little respite, and I stayed until it was just too miserable to stay any longer. Obviously, I now look like a lobster.

But the biggest change since my last post is our move! For the past month, we've been living in a fabulous neighborhood called the Marina, full of creature comforts like Starbucks and bars and less full of things like mutton and the smell of garam masala wafting through the corridors. This is our new hood. Our building is one of those tall ones, but I'm not tech savvy enough to figure out how to draw an arrow pointing to it.

It's close to the beach and has great walking paths all around. Rob can walk to work and I hit zero traffic on my way to work (a welcome change from my traffic-driven hour commute from our old place.) We have a huge balcony that after my initial terror of being on the 29th floor, we're out on most of the time. The construction sound around us, which some might find annoying as we did in the beginning, is now hardly noticeable (since Dubai won bid for the 2020 Expo, construction has been even crazier than it already was.)

And we're a short walk away from the city's main concert venue. Last weekend I proudly knocked another thing off my bucket list. Yep, you guessed it: a Lionel Richie concert. It was awesome and no blog post could ever do it justice.

We still like living in this weird little corner of the world. We learn new things from new people from new places every single day and stay as open and accepting as we can in the process!

3 comments:

  1. A welcome new blog. Thanks Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to get an update! That's pretty cool you have had a chance to explore and live in different neighborhoods during your time in dubai - what does the view from the 29th story look like - if the buildings are that tall how many more floors above are you?

    ReplyDelete