Saturday, December 29, 2012

Good things

Moving abroad is not always easy. Nothing is as simple or makes as much sense as at home. Banal tasks like buying bedding (are there seriously no fitted sheets in this country?) and getting home (45 minute bus detour yesterday) are oftentimes frustrating, reminding you that sure, maybe you’re getting the hang of life here, but no, you’re not there yet.

But at the risk of sounding negative about our new home, I wanted to talk about just a few of the things that I love about Dubai:

1. The food.
I love the food here. I have yet to have a bad meal, and that includes my foray into the food court at the mall by our house. Last night I got Lebanese takeout, which costs less than cooking dinner at home and saves me an inevitable mess and the risk of a complete culinary disaster. That and I have to satisfy my two servings of hummus per day quota (the hummus here is ridiculous.)
Happy at a street side Lebanese restaurant

2. Happy hour.

Liquor here is expensive because it carries a 30 percent tax. Which is why we (and every other expat) love the prevalence of happy hour in Dubai. Here’s the view from our favorite one so far on the 52nd floor of the Marriott.
A glass of wine with a price tag that doesn’t compromise our future child’s college fund and looking at this view, I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be. Bonus points go to this particular bar for not being a pub of the English, Irish, or Australian variety.

3. This couch:
An arm rest/cup holder built right into the couch? Why haven’t we come up with such genius?

4. The rules:

Sure, sometimes it’s annoying that I can’t have a sip of my Diet Coke in the metro or that I was publicly humiliated over the loud speaker when my foot touched the seat in the bus. But it’s the rules that keep this country so ridiculously pristine. Public displays of affection are not only frowned upon here, but also illegal if taken to a certain extent. In a shocking turn of events, I found myself on the metro today scowling at a young couple kissing. I’ve officially become that woman scoffing at young people in love on the metro! OK, maybe I’m acclimating just fine.


8 comments:

  1. Does that sofa also come with adjustable headrests? I think so. The headrests are equally impressive as I view it.
    Is the arm rest retractable? I need to lie down de vez en quando.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't check. I didn't want to spend too long with it or else I'd be its owner.

      Delete
  2. Agreed, the most mundane tasks become extraordinary. At least there is a beach close by to relax.

    One fun challenge- making Tex-mex from scratch abroad. And even more of a challenge in a pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I focus mainly on curry. I graduated from red curry to green curry the other night!

      Delete
  3. This is my favorite post so far. Miss you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great staying up to speed with you guys! I hope your enjoying Dubai as much as it appears. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following along! We miss you too and hope parenthood is treating you both well so far. We can't wait to meet him!

      Delete