Sunday, January 27, 2013

Big Box Store Shopping, Dubai Style

Let me start this post by declaring that it should be illegal to shop at IKEA if you can't prove that you have a car or similarly reliable mode of transport.

If this were so, Rob and I would have been forbidden from lugging several heavy, awkward boxes from the bus to the metro to another bus to home last week. We even inexplicably ended up lost at the airport at one point.

I've provided a handy map of Dubai to give you an idea of the proximity (or lack thereof) of IKEA to where we live:

In case you're wondering, IKEA here is exactly like IKEA at home except there are even more people, which translates into even more kids running unrestrained through the store. I didn't think it was even possible. And those little arrows on the ground? Nobody cares and nobody follows them. I felt like a salmon swimming up river for most of the trip.

Naturally, like anyone complaining about IKEA, I know that even in Dubai, it's the place to go for cheap things that will look great in our apartment for the years we're here.

Love to hate the Swedish and their crafty and stylish, yet affordable housewares.

The upside is that we found a Belgian bar with fantastic beer and even better live music, right on Dubai creek. It was good fuel for the remainder of the seemingly endless journey home.

Here's a photo of one of our purchases in the living room. Carrying this one was obviously Rob's job :)

I'll be putting up photos of the entire apartment soon!





16 comments:

  1. Need a picture of u for your shelf? I think mom amd I would look great on it.
    Love following your adventures Andy and Rob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll take one of you two on a camel when you come visit!

      Delete
  2. I concur with Jim and think there should also be a picture of up there too. heh.

    Your story reminds me when I took 2 buses to travel to the British version of K-mart for a baby pool since it was the hottest London probably ever experienced. While tretcherous, it is satisfying once you are home and see what you bought.

    Did you try to bargain the price down at Ikea. Would love to see that. What, we are not in the marketplace?

    Congrats. You can check that experience off your list of to-dos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, consider it checked off. Never going back until we have a car, which is looking more and more like a reality every day.
      I remember the baby pool. Hard to believe London ever gets that hot!

      Delete
  3. Andy...per your map... What is a freezone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A freezone is an area declared by the sheikh to be tax free and therefore bring business into Dubai. It has worked well, so now they're all over the place. I think there are around 20 here. Good question!

      Delete
  4. Love hearing that your home is gettingmore homey. Also love that Franny studied your map and is asking questions that will provide us with local knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The longer I'm unemployed, the more local knowledge I acquire. If this keeps up, I'll be teaching the Dubai 101 course at the local university!
      Also, I also love and appreciate Franny's curiosity :)

      Delete
  5. P.S. All of Pete's comments are actually Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured, though Pete is free to comment as well.

      Delete
  6. "A freezone is an area declared by the sheikh to be tax free and therefore bring business into Dubai. It has worked well, so now they're all over the place. I think there are around 20 here. Good question!" i always agree this post above becuase it's say really true. Great

    ReplyDelete
  7. in this article i found very interesting and informative materials thanks for share it with us

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recognize that HOME canvas! Glad some pieces of home (ha, pun intended) made its way there with you :). And can totally relate; when I was in Poland for my masters project I was so desperate to nest I went to IKEA during my first few weeks there via two buses and a 15 minute walk along a highway between IKEA and the last bus stop. I didn't think about how I was going to lug all that crap back with me and was so tired and irritated on the way home I got off the bus four stops too early (by mistake, it was dark), took a taxi from the old town in the city center and paid 3x what I would have from anywhere else. I'm sure it didn't help that I was so obviously the dumb American chick with three IKEA bags (those things are not small...I also forgot to bring anything to carry my wares home in) slung across her body. But I will say that, among my other purchases, the apple scented candle made me feel better when I got back to my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We thought the HOME canvas should come with us to every home we're in, and that meant a prime spot in my carry on luggage!
      Love the IKEA stories. Total pain in the ass at the time, but the things you laugh about later on. That's what I kept telling Rob as he became increasingly pissed: "We'll laugh about this someday soon!" Miss you :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete