Monday, January 21, 2013

Things that would never fly at home...

I like to think that we're acclimating nicely--maybe even faster than average. But there are things that happen on a daily basis here in Dubai that I still can't accept; things that my upbringing in the states has taught me are amiss. I'm well aware that many things in America are frowned upon here (pork, short skirts with Uggs, and the 2nd amendment, just to name a few) but I'll share some of my observations anyway:

1. Burping/spitting
There is seriously little or no effort to hide bodily functions here. This is true for burping on the crowded metro or hawking massive loogies precious inches from another person's feet as they stroll down the street (I've almost been hit more times than I can count. It's gross.)

2. Cell phone etiquette

I understand this is an area where we're faltering at home, but it's brought to a new level here. I saw a butcher talking on his phone while butchering meat for a customer. Our bus driver to Hatta--the man operating an 11 ton vehicle full of passengers--enjoyed a conversation that must have lasted at least 30 minutes. The other night, our Pakistani taxi driver called his wife in Mexico when he found out I speak Spanish. This was disturbing on two levels: 1) My taxi driver was dialing his wife halfway across the world when he should have been navigating roads that by my account are some of the world's most dangerous, and 2) I had to speak with his wife in Spanish, which was weird because I don't know her and also because I never thought I'd use my Spanish here, especially in the back of a taxi.

3. Littering
I know this isn't unique to Dubai, but I'll never get used to people just throwing their trash on the ground. Water bottles, cigarette boxes, candy wrappers, whatever. This place has the ingredients for a litter bug-free country: plenty of trash cans and a populace that walks a lot. In my experience they just prefer walking away from trash cans. The city stays shockingly clean, however, because of how many people are hired to clean up after the many litter bugs.

4. "Massages"
We find these little cards under our door a few times each week and started saving them because they make us laugh. They're discreet little ads for massages that almost always feature a sexy Asian lady and offer "door to door service." I, like you, am becoming increasingly suspect and while I'm not certain of my suspicions, I'll probably get angry if Rob ever orders one.
I put my favorite on top. "The best way for relaxing and enjoyment in the town" has "perfectional girls" and "collage girls" available!

2 comments:

  1. Your observations are similar to what Mom and I saw in the Philipines when we lived there. You made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy I can only imagine how awkward the phone call experience was - did you have to shake your head afterwards to check in that that just Really happened? Im also trying to remember if my dad said the spitting was a pass time in Algeria? Perhaps it crosses cultural borders?? The littering totally surprised me given other cultural expectations you have shared. I wonder what we will learn next from your adventures?

    ReplyDelete