Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day at the Souks

Souk is the the term for marketplace here in the Middle East. Thanks to Hollywood, my idea of a souk was that of a wide open, romantic space with a wood roof, filled with stalls and beautiful, exotic, and affordable goods for sale. Something like this, maybe:
The souks of the movies do exist (this one is in a hotel by the beach,) but it's not the real deal. We prefer the souks that simply look like run-down stores, offering everything from textiles to gold to shoes. The movies don’t touch on the guys getting in your face every 15 seconds offering “handbags, watches, pashminas, ma’am, sir,” putting their hands all over you (if you’re a man) and ushering you into their questionable stores, almost always down a darkish alley.

Not exactly the romantic ‘Carrie Bradshaw shopping in Abu Dhabi in Sex and the City 2’ experience I had anticipated, but still the best place to get cool Arabian-looking goods (most likely made in India.) The souk we went to is in Bur Dubai, the city’s oldest neighborhood and one that feels the most like Arabia of anywhere in this modern, over-the-top place.
As part of my unceasing effort to decorate our empty apartment, I’ve had my eye on these handmade Moroccan lamps pretty much since we touched ground here in Dubai. Now, if there is one rule at the souks, it’s that it is expected that you bargain with the vendors. Unfortunately, I just might happen to be the worst bargainer on the planet, so we had our work cut out for us. In the end, we scored a fabulous lamp through our hard-nosed, relentless bargaining skills (read: Rob bargaining and me standing in the corner pretending to pick out a Burj al Arab paperweight.)
And then we found this, and it was too awesome not to document. Short months ago I would have laughed condescendingly at a couple of Americans taking pictures in front of a tiny, cheap, out-of-place Statue of Liberty. Maybe homesickness does funny things to a person, but let the record show that we had to wait in a relatively long line to get this photo. Lady Liberty was by far the most popular fake landmark there.

PS. I've heard complaints from some of you who can't post comments, and I think I've fixed the issue, but let me know if not. Thank you for reading!


8 comments:

  1. Great stories and pix makes it feel like we are there with you!
    Thank you, Andy! Love, Aunt Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 1st anniversays Andy and Rob.
    Keep those blogs coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everytme I come to your blog it seems my eyes glance by the subtitle and instead of reading Dubai I see Mumbai in India and no doubt every time I have to consciously check that it still says Dubai. Maybe it's the middle of night feedings, but had to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad it works. No Mumbai yet, but you'll hear about it here if we take that leap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy- I am surprised at you. For all the years of training when we went antiquing and bargained down the prices. . . I thought you'd like it. Love the lamps!

    You must work on the bargaining thing- it becomes fun and when vendors chase you to give you the price you asked for as you are walking away- that is so satisfying. Look at it as an insult if you don't bargain.

    Forget Mumbai and go to Delhi - 3 hours by plane and you can bargain for some great goods.

    ReplyDelete