Friday, February 8, 2013

A Dubai-Mex Dinner

As if they could read my mind, some of my best girlfriends sent us a care package with all of the fixings for a Mexican meal at home. Anyone who has been abroad knows that if you can find Mexican food, it's always overpriced and never good. I tried to make fajitas a couple of weeks ago but I bought cheese-flavored taco seasoning on accident. I didn't know that even existed and I'm sad that it does. Needless to say, this couldn't have come at a better time for us after that disappointment.

I'm especially looking forward to this as it will be my first time in months that I've made a meal that doesn't include either taragon, coconut milk, or garam masala. Gracias ladies for what I know will be a fabulous Mexican feast, Dubai style.
I don't know why I never cease to be amazed by the lack of organization and infrastructure here. The package was addressed to us at Rob's work (since we don't actually have our own address) and ended up at the al Karama post office: a bus ride, 40-minute metro ride, and a 10 block walk from our apartment, followed by a painful 45-minute wait at the actual post office. A nice day out if you don't count the part where we had to explain the purpose of taco seasoning to the unpleasant and dubious man behind the counter.

But it's worth it because we're still apprehensive to try the few Mexican restaurants in town, including Cactus Jack's, Maria Bonita's or Goodfellas, the final of which markets itself as "American, British, Indian AND Mexican." Cuisine from literally all around the world within four walls could never be good unless it's in the food court by our house (again, astonishingly delicious. Don't judge.)

10 comments:

  1. Nice blog Andrea, first time I'm here!I'm very much fond of foods:)and sometimes love to cook myself, though never tried Mexican actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! These days I've mostly been cooking Indian food because I'm so fascinated with the spices! But Mexican food is an old favorite.

      Delete
  2. Close your eyes and you're in Playa del Carmen. Olay!
    Ok , maybe not the Mexican riviera, maybe Roberto's Persian Gulf Taco/Ghost/Enchilada/Tiki kabob restaurant.
    Have fun and enjoy the dinner. Thanks to girls who love you and sent the contriband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not making it until we get our license to go buy Corona. Lots of Corona here. Who knew?

      Delete
  3. For those who have lived or spent years in California, you realize the importance of Tex Mex when abroad. I know it was dearly missed while I was away. So glad you got the package. Hard to trust restaurants that have Indian and Mexican and American cuisine in one restaurant. At least you know in the middle east they won't use pork rinds as chips for salsa like you had in Spain!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True about the pork rinds. One very good thing to come out of the pork ban here. Thank you again!! I'll take pictures when the meal is complete :)

      Delete
  4. Corona is everywhere in Australia too. The Aussies love and think its the next best thing to slice bread. They pay $8.00 - $9.00 for it. I just laugh, that is way too much to spend on a Corona. I tell them my stories of paying $1-$2 for one Corona in Mexico and their jaws drop. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, $8-$9 is par for the course for any beer here in Dubai. We went to a bar that looked like a brewery complete with brew tanks, but obviously empty. What disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out!

      Delete