Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Place To Go Every Day

For those of you who don't already know, I am officially employed! I'll be doing marketing and communications at The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai International Financial Centre (see how I spelled 'centre?' I'm learning already!) Finally a paycheck to support the pesky shopping habit I've developed in unemployment.

So what am I doing blogging in the middle of the day? As I've reiterated about a hundred times since I started this blog, everything here move at a glacial pace and as such, I'm still waiting on my visa. I'm daring to consider myself in the homestretch of my brain melting days as I hold my head a little higher when I watch terrible sitcom reruns and bad Jay Leno jokes. Right now it's a Seinfeld episode I've seen no fewer than eight times in my life.

The Ritz-Carlton requires every new employee to go through a two-day orientation. This is officially my third Ritz-Carlton orientation, so I was the model pupil (and inadvertent teacher's pet.) I was the only native English speaker in the classroom, so I worked harder than usual to keep the conversation going. I don't often toot my own horn, but I'd say I could have taught the whole damn thing. Toot toot.

Anyway, here's my hotel:

Pretty palatial, huh? It's right in the heart of the city's financial district and couldn't be more different from my previous Ritz-Carlton, which is a beach and golf resort. So I have a lot to learn, but I can't wait to dig in.

Even more of a challenge will be getting myself to work everyday. The commute requires a bus ride reminiscent of a sardine can, a 30-minute metro ride, and a 10-minute walk. This will be all but unsustainable as the mercury rises (and rises and rises) on the thermometer, so we'll be buying a car. Imagine the blog posts when I begin driving on these notoriously perilous roads. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Congrats! Truer gaps a post on drivers training Dubai style is on the horizon...can you drive with your CA license or will you need a new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Americans, they make it easy for us to get a UAE license. People from other countries need to take something like 16 behind-the-wheel lessons, which I always say is like "the blind leading the blind!"

      Delete